May 19, 2023
Hillcrest Avenue - The first phase of the project began on May 16, 2023, and includes work from N Jefferson Way to N 6th St and a portion of the road east of N 6th to N 7th Streets. Business access is available via Scenic Valley and Trail Ridge Avenues and N 6th St. This project will replace the existing failed concrete pavement with a new three-lane paved street on Hillcrest between N 4th and N 14th Streets. The project also includes new storm sewer infrastructure, new sidewalks, and improved trail crossings.
Fire Department Receives Grant
The Indianola Fire Department received a $5,000 grant for a rescue boat from the Warren County Philanthropic Partnership. This inflatable boat will be used to immediately and effectively rescue persons in distress in an emergency situation in the water. Inflatable boats have enhanced stability to make them faster and easier to maneuver and deploy than regular lifeboats.
The Indianola Firefighters Association received a grant from the same organization for $2,539.09, which they donated to the Fire Department. The money, along with a $2500 grant from Wal-Mart will be used to purchase a Stair Chair. This vital piece of EMS equipment will be used to safely and quickly transport those patients with mobility issues down the stairs at homes, apartments, and office buildings.
The recent rainfalls have helped the flowers to bloom and the grass to grow…and grow! As you are doing your lawn maintenance, please remember that it is unlawful to throw or deposit debris, including lawn clippings, into the roadway. The debris is likely to injure others or clog the storm sewers. Please do your part to keep our city clean and safe by blowing the lawn clippings back into your yard.
Pool Opening Day
The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center will open for the season on Saturday, June 3 at 1:00 PM. The season is sure to be a fun one, with lots of activities scheduled. New for this year is a Special Needs Swim Night and a Sensory Friendly Swim Night! Visit our website to see all the activities and learn how to sign up for notifications on pool closures.
As a thank you to our veterans, the Center offers a free lifetime pass for Veterans to the facility. If you qualify for a free pass, or would like to purchase a season pass, please call the Activity Center at 515-961-9420. Passes are not sold online or at the Aquatic Center. Daily rates are $7.00 for anyone over the age of 2 entering the facility; half-price admission is available after 5 PM Mon-Fri and after 4 PM Sat-Sun.
City Council Update
The Indianola City Council met in study session and regular session on Monday, May 15, 2023. The meetings can be viewed on the City’s YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCwqdy2irWQILB_1QzcVrdw
During the study session, Council received an update regarding Bravo and the wellness facility transition. They discussed the bond referendum timeline for the Public Safety Building Project.
Among the items Council approved in the regular meeting were:
- A special event permit for the American Legion for the Veterans Memorial Day Parade on May 29, 2023, at 10:00 AM.
- Payment applications for the Indianola Industrial Park Plat 3 Project, the Indianola Square Reconstruction Project, and the 2022 Infrastructure Improvements Project on Boston Avenue.
- An agreement with HR Green for engineering services for the Franklin Avenue sewer replacement project.
- Amendment Number 3 to the Professional Services Agreement with HR Green for the construction phase services at the Water Resource Recovery Facility.
- The sale and consumption of alcohol at Pickard Park for the Disc Golf Tournament at Pickard Park June 23-25, 2023.
- Final approval on ordinances amending prohibited scavenging practices, the Indianola Traffic Code, and sewer service charges.
- A Hold Harmless Agreement with Warren County regarding sprinkler head protective covers.
More information on these items and others can be found in the council packet.
Upcoming Council Meetings
Draft agendas for the upcoming Council meetings can be found at the link below. These are working drafts and are subject to change. Agendas are published on the City's website the Thursday prior to a scheduled City Council meeting. The next regular Council meeting will be on Monday, June 5, at 7:00 p.m. A study session will precede the meeting at 6:00 p.m.
Volunteer and Employment Opportunities
The City of Indianola has many volunteer opportunities:
- Library Volunteer – Sign up here
- Art Festival Volunteer on July 29 and July 30 – Sign up here
- Immediate openings on the Board of Adjustment, Planning and Zoning Commission, and Sustainability Committee. The application is available online.
- Openings on other various boards and commissions beginning July 1. The listings and application are available online.
The City of Indianola is currently hiring for multiple positions, including the following seasonal openings:
- Flowers – Buxton Park
- Flowers – Downtown Area
- Horticulture Assistant
- Parks – Maintenance Worker, Mower, Tree Care
- Aquatic Center – Lifeguard, Operations, Support Staff, Management
- Recreation – Field Maintenance Worker, Sports Complex Concessions Workers
- Planning Intern in Community Development – temporary position
The City is also hiring for these part-time and full-time positions:
- Paramedic – Part-time
- Streets Operations Specialist – Full-time
Please visit our website for more information on employment opportunities.