The definition of cyber bullying is "the use of internet technologies to harass or humiliate another person." Some examples include: Rude or inappropriate text messages, degrading or threatening comments posted on a website.
Signs that your child may be the victim of cyber bullying:
- Avoids use of the computer, cell phone, or other devices
- Appears stressed out when receiving emails, instant messages, or text messages
- Withdraws from friends and family
- Acts reluctant to attend school and social events
- Avoids conversations about computer use.
- Exhibits signs of low self-esteem including depression and/or fear
- Has declining grades
- Stops eating or sleeping
- In serious cases child may even consider suicide.
Dealing with cyber bullying:
- Do not respond to the bullying
- Save the evidence
- Report the activity to the website, internet service provider, school, or police department.