The City Manager / City Council
form of city government combines the strong political leadership of elected officials with the strong managerial experience of an appointed City Manager.
In Indianola the City Manager is hired and appointed by the City Council
to manage the day-to-day operations of the city and to ensure that policies declared by the Mayor and Council are carried out.
In addition, the City Manager assumes responsibility for:
- Preparing the annual budget
- Applying the ordinances set by the Council
- Hiring personnel
- Recommending policies or programs to the City Council
- Keeping the council fully advised of the financial and other conditions of the city
- Providing the council with information to aid in decision-making
The City of Indianola has 9 separately functioning departments with a total employment of approximately 90 full-time and permanent part-time employees.
The City Manager appoints all department heads and is responsible to the Council for proper administration of all city business, and for the budget.