Half Price Trees (Shade Crusade)
Tree Program for Indianola Residents
The Indianola Trees Committee would like to increase the city's tree diversity and urban tree canopy by offering discounted trees to Indianola homeowners.
High quality native trees will be available for Indianola residents to purchase. The committee will pay 50% of the cost of the tree with the remainder paid by the customer. All participants must be Indianola residents who agree to plant the tree(s) on residential property within Indianola city limits.
There is a limit of up to 2 trees per household.
|Kentucky Coffeetree||With its reputation as a tough species, the Kentucky coffeetree is an excellent choice for parks, golf courses, and other large areas. It is also widely used as an ornamental or street tree. The Kentucky coffeetree grows to a height of 60–75' and a spread of 40–50' at maturity. View photo||$60|
|Pagoda Dogwood||An excellent landscape choice for all four seasons, the white dogwood is a favorite in many yards and gardens. The white dogwood grows to a height of around 25' and a spread of around 25' at maturity. View photo||Starting at $50|
|River Birch||The species is valued for its relatively rapid growth, tolerance of wetness and some drought, unique curling bark, spreading limbs, and relative resistance to birch borer. Ranging from 40 feet tall to 70 feet tall and 35-50 feet wide. View photo||$50|
|The swamp white oak is a great choice for a shade or street tree, with the ability to grow at a moderate pace and live more than 300 years. The swamp white oak grows to a height of 50–60' and a spread of 50–60' at maturity. View photo||$55|
|White Pine||A hardy, valuable tree. Clustered soft blue-green needles. Ideal screen or windbreak. Grows 50' to 80' with a 20-40' spread in the landscape, up to 135' or more in the wild. View photo||$60|
|Shade Crusade Tree Pick-Up|
|Pick-Up Date||Saturday, October 22|
|Pick-Up Time||8:00 - 10:00 am|
|Pick-Up Location||Pickard Park Greenhouse, 2205 East 2nd Ave (Hwy 92)|
1. Select and purchase your tree by calling (515) 961-9420 between Friday, September 30 and Wednesday, October 12.
2. All Iowans are required by law to notify Iowa One Call at least 48 hours (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays) prior to engaging in any type of digging or excavating. Homeowners and private residents are not exempt. CALL 811 BEFORE YOU DIG.
3. Residents can pick up trees on Saturday, October 22. Trees not picked up by October 28 will be considered a donation to the Indianola Parks & Recreation Department.
4. No warranty is provided. No refunds, exchanges or replacements.
5. Plant your tree(s) right away, and be sure to share your tree planting photos on Facebook with the hashtag #indyshadecrusade!