Hazardous Waste Disposal
The City of Indianola is offering residents one day to drop off hazardous waste on Saturday, October 15, 2022 from 9:00 am until 1:00 pm. Upon entering all residents please be ready to present a State-issued ID showing your address. Many home, garden and auto products contain potentially dangerous chemicals poisonous to people, fish, wildlife, and plants. Product labels containing the words "danger, poison, warning or caution" should be considered hazardous. Household products are also considered hazardous if they have at least one of the following characteristics:
- Toxic - Item may cause injury or death upon being inhaled, ingested or absorbed through the skin.
- Caustic/Corrosive - A chemical or its vapors can cause deterioration or irreversible alteration in body tissues and deteriorate.
- Flammable - Item can ignite or explode under normal working conditions.
- Reactive - Item can explode through exposure to heat, sudden shock, pressure, or incompatible substances.
- Aerosol cleaners
- Batteries (Ni-Cad, Lithium, Mercury)
- CFL: Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- CFL: Fluorescent tubes (4-8 foot)
- Corrosive Products
- Fertilizers & Weed Killers (Herbicides, Insecticides, Pesticides)
- Flammable Liquids (Gasoline, Kerosene, Paint Thinner, & Remover)
- Oxidizers (Pool Chemicals & Stump Remover)
- Paint Related Materials
- Sharps **
Items Not Accepted
- Alkaline Batteries (throw in trash)
- Business Waste
- Cooking oil
- Empty Containers
- Fire extinguishers
- Incandescent Light Bulbs (throw in trash)
- Gas grill cylinder ( 1 lb. cylinders can be trashed if empty)
- Incandescent light bulbs
- Latex paint
- Motor oil
- Non-Hazardous Waste
- Prescription Medications
- Propane tanks
- Radioactive material
* Bag large items of Fertilizers and weed killers in a supplied plastic bag and close with included tie.
** Sharps must be placed in a laundry detergent bottle or sharps container, then tape lid shut with heavy tape.
*** If you have pills to get rid of please utilize the Police Department disposal. Drop off during regular business hours in the Police Department lobby at 110 N 1st Street use the South entrance. Call 961-9400 with questions.
If you have any questions concerning the Indianola Hazardous Waste Disposal Site please contact the Street Department at 515-961-9415 or by email. You can also utilize the Metro Hazardous Waste Facility located at 1105 Prairie Drive SW in Bondurant.