The Indianola Public Library serves a diverse community and strives to do so with tolerance, fairness and respect. To provide a safe and comfortable environment for its users, the library asks patrons to observe the following standards of behavior:
- Food is prohibited, unless it is part of a library program or meeting room event.
- Beverages are not allowed near the library’s computers. However, beverages in closed or spill-resistant containers are acceptable in other areas of the library.
- The use tobacco or controlled substances is not permitted on library property.
- Alcohol is prohibited. However, exceptions may be made for library-sponsored programs or Friends of the Indianola Public Library Foundation events.
- Conversation with others or on cell phones should be kept quiet enough not to disturb other library users or to disrupt library activities.
- Radios, televisions and other devices with external speakers may not be used in the library.
- The use of personally owned computers within the library is limited to personal portable devices. The sound must be turned off or headphones used.
- Children age 7 and under must be accompanied by a parent or responsible childcare provider while in the library.
- Running is not permitted in the library.
- Belligerent, abusive or profane language will not be tolerated.
- Picture taking or videotaping of people, except at library-sponsored events, unless authorized by the library director or designee or by the patrons involved (or their parents or guardians if minors) is not allowed.
- Stalking, harassing or intimidation of patrons or library staff anywhere on library property is prohibited and may be punishable by law.
- Defacing or damaging library materials, furniture, computers or other property is not allowed and may be punishable by law.
- Removing library materials from the building without checking them out is not only prohibited, it is unlawful.
- Indecent exposure, as defined by the Code of Iowa, is unlawful.
- Sexual harassment, defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, will not be tolerated.
- Any behavior or use of the Library that interferes with the Library’s stated purpose is not permitted.
- Violation of any municipal, state or federal law or code is prohibited.
Enforcement of these guidelines may take the form of any of the following actions, depending upon the severity of the misconduct, which will be determined by the staff on duty at the time:
- In most cases, persons who are behaving inappropriately in the library will be given one warning and asked to behave in an appropriate manner. People who do not modify their behavior after one warning will be asked to leave the Library for the rest of the day.
- In the event of misconduct that is considered extreme by the library staff, the offender will be ordered to leave the building immediately or the police will be called.
- Persons who behave inappropriately on a regular basis or who engage in unlawful activities while on library property may have all or part of their library privileges revoked or risk being barred from the Library for a period of time, as well as face the possibility of legal charges.
Adopted 3/00; reviewed 1/03; reviewed 10/07; revised 2/12; revised 8/12; revised 3/17; revised 7/19